Have you ever feel out of luck? Well, you may feel sad but you may feel Empathy to this man named Roy C. Sullivan. Sullivan is a park ranger in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. Between 1942 and 1947, Sullivan struck by lightning 7 times. He was recognized by the Guinness World Records as the person struck by lightning multiple times.
- April 1942- He was stationed in the brand-new Miller’s Head Fire tower when a storm blew in. The tower was so new lightning rods hadn’t been installed yet, and it ended up being struck 7 to 8 times (he lost big toe nail).
- July 1969- Almost three decades past, Sullivan was driving a park truck when lightning struck two trees on one side of the road. Sullivan’s truck was in th middle, with both windows rolled down. As a result, the ranger lost his consciousness, and nearly drove his truck of a cliff. When he wake up he lost his Eyebrows and eyelashes.
- July 1970- Sullivan was struck in front of his yard. The lightningh hit a nearby power transformer and from there jumped to his left shoulder. Searing it
- April 16, 1972- His hair set on fire, “There was a gemtle rain, but no signs of lightning, until one big clap, the loudest thing i’ve ever heard” he said. “And my hair was on fire” but he manage to use wet paper towels from a nearby bathroom.
- August 7, 1973- ” I actually saw the lightning shoot out of the cloud, and it was coming straight for me” he said. It even knocked off one of his shoes, leaving the lace tied.
- June 5, 1976- Sulivan is walking along the park trail, when he was struck for the sixth time. It was the final straw for Sullivan- he retired 5 months later leaving his ankle injured.
- June 25, 1977- Sullivan was out trout fishing when the hair on his arms bristled. This strike to the head burned his chest and stomach and cause hearing loss in one ear.
In Case you’re wonering, the odds of getting struck by a lightning are about 1 in 280,000,000. The odds of getting struck by lightning seven times are 4.15 in 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.
In September 1983 he died on his own hand, reported rejected in love.